Eating a non-GMO diet helps promote efficient organ functions, gastrointestinal and reproductive health, and uncontaminated food. They also foster eco-friendly practices as well by promoting biodiversity and sustainability.
One of the crops most susceptible to bad chemicals like Roundup is corn, which is why it’s so important to only eat non-GMO corn.
Corn is a really important aspect of our daily lives. 90% of corn is grown for animal feed and biofuel, while the other 10% is grown for consumption as a vegetable (sweet corn), as a grain, or as an additive. To easily spot whether or not the corn in your favorite products is non-GMO, look for the Non-GMO Project seal. To learn more about the Non-GMO Project, go to https://www.nongmoproject.org/.
Sweet corn is what we eat as a vegetable, on or off the cob. Corn on the cob is a fun, inexpensive, and healthful delight – just be sure to eat non-GMO!
In honor of National Corn on the Cob day, June 11th, come see us at the Turnip Truck for a great deal on non-GMO, loose, bi-color corn – six ears for just $3! Corn on the cob is so versatile, and easy to make for yourself or for a crowd. What’s your favorite way to eat corn on the cob? We are having a hard time deciding, so here are a few of the best ways we can think of to eat corn on the cob:
Grilled, with a little butter
Sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar
Cooked, brushed with olive oil and rolled in chopped herbs
Roasted and coated in Old Bay and garlic compound butter
Honestly, raw corn on the cob is really good, but here’s how to cook it:
Remove husks from corn just before cooking. Remove as much of the fine silky thread as you can by running your hands over the cobs and pulling them out. A wet paper towel will remove the rest.
To boil: The trick to cooking fresh corn is to not overcook it. Bring a large pot (a 6-quart stock pot will fit 4 to 5 large ears) full of water to a boil. Add the corn. When the water boils again, which will take a few minutes, the corn will be cooked but still crisp. If you want the kernels softer, let it boil for another three minutes or so. Some people add sugar to the water, but you should not add salt. It will make the corn tough.
To grill: Heat grill to medium. Grill corn, turning occasionally until all sides are charred and kernels are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. If you want to grill in the husks, you’ll need to peel the papery layers back, remove silks and then return husks to original position. Soak corn in water for about 15 minutes to prevent the husks from burning on the grill and to allow corn to steam a bit.
To roast: Corn on the cob can be roasted in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees in or out of the husk. When the corn is in the husk, use the same technique for roasting as you do for grilling, placing the ears directly on the oven rack grate. If you remove the husk, place the ears on a baking sheet and turn them a couple of times during cooking. Corn without the husks can also be wrapped in foil before roasting. This is an especially good technique if you spread with flavored butter first.